2020 World Paper ‘n’ Comb Competition to Go Virtual
This Year’s World Paper ‘n’ Comb Competition will take place via the wonders of the Internet.
For reasons that I’m sure are obvious to anyone not running a government from Westminster, Social distancing and that nasty bug Covid 19 have put paid to our usual romp through the wilderness that is the World Paper ‘n’ Comb Competition.
Last year’s winner has moved back to New Zealand. But even moving to the other side of
the world is not far enough away not to be found by the organisers of this prestigious event.
No, we have tracked Michael Boon to a smallish town on the South Island and persuaded him (I have never liked the word ‘forced’ in relation to this competition – as those who have attended over the years can – I mean will – testify) to submit an entry for WPNC2020. (I’m sure you can work it out!)
As a special treat this year you will be able to use a comb and paper of your own choosing as the shelves are bare of Izal and most other hygiene type papers.
So, this is what you need to do to take part…
- As the theme for this year’s competition is “The Eurovision Song Contest” your entry should be a rendition of a winning song – or a British one if you prefer. Get your inspiration here.
- As usual the competition has a fancy-dress element and you will be expected to be dressed as a previous winner. This will give plenty of scope to the more bizarre competitors and we especially encourage their participation – don’t we?
- Click here to go to the Application Form. Complete the form and submit it.
- You will receive an email confirming that your application has been received (please check your SPAM folder, as it may land up there!)
- Make video of your performance – using your mobile phone or something more sophisticated if you work for the BBC or just happen to have a film studio or such like equipment lying around. We don’t want anything longer than 2 minutes (and even that will tax the concentration span of our experienced judging panel).
- Forward your confirmation email to email@example.com - attaching your entry video.
- Closing date is : Wednesday 1st July 2020.
- We will show the films over the weekend of our online 2020 Stonehaven Folk Festival.
- We may judge them ourselves* or ask the public to vote. (Well you see the trouble caused by asking the public to vote in referendums and general elections…)
- We will announce the winners over the festival weekend.
The Categories remain the same – although we recognise that it will need to be groups of families living together to take part in the group competitions. We are doing our best to encourage sibling rivalry in the individual competitions and hope that this will add to any tensions caused by the ‘lockdown’ situation.
- The Categories are…
- Under 12 Group
- Under 12 Individual
- Adult Group
- Adult Individual
Winners will receive the usual Certificate and as a special incentive a photograph of the World Championship Trophy.
And very good luck to you all !
* Past judges have included Liz Clark of Celtic Music radio, Anna Massie, Billy Connolly and a hairdresser from Edinburgh.